Saturday 19 July 2014

My yoke is easy Mat 11:28-30



 Church of Perpetual Succour, Glenfin, Co. Donegal
 Community Mass;
Into. by Fr. Nivard
Fw: My yoke is easy
                         
On Thursday, 17 July 2014, 
Fr. Nivard ... wrote:

15 Thur July 5 2014: Mat 11:28-30
My joke is easy and burden light
   Doing the works which Jesus did.   
   The Jews used the image of a yoke to express submission to God.
   They spoke of the yoke of the yoke of the commandments, the yoke of the yoke of God.
   Jesus says his yoke is "easy". The Greek word for "easy" can also mean "well-fitting".
   Yokes were tailor-made to fit the oxen well. Oxen were yoked two by two. Jesus invites us to be yoked with him, to unite our life with his life, our will with his will, and our heart with his heart.
   At primary school the young teachers would, on occasion, ask the boys to name their favourite girl in the class and then the girls would name their favourite boy. I would always choose my partner but quite often another boy would get there first. One day my aunt took my brother and sisters to watch 'Snow-white and the Seven Dwarfs'. My aunt looked behind and saw me and my partner marching along with arms linked. Alas, she sent the poor girl packing! 
   To be yoked with Jesus is to be united with him in a relationship of love, trust, and obedience .
     
Father, inflame our hearts with love for you and for your ways. Help us to exchange the yoke of rebellion for the yoke of continual union with your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.




Fr. Nivard, 3 months at the Church of Perpetual Succour, Glenfin. Nivard 1952 entered Cistercian monks at Mount St. Bernard.
Glenfin Church South Face - Pugin style, similar to the MSB Abbey Church 


+ + +


No comments: