Saturday 10 May 2014

Easter 4th Sunday. Jn 10:10. ...have life and have it more abundantly

Nunraw liturgy

Sunday, 11 May 2014

Fourth Sunday of Easter - Year A

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 10:1-10.
Jesus said: «Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber.
But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 
...
A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy; I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly. 
Commentary of the day :   
Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church 

Sermon 46, On the shepherds; CCL 41, 529 


" I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly"

“Thus says the Lord: 'I myself will come'”... This is what he has undoubtedly done and what he will yet do: “I myself am coming: I will seek out my sheep, I will tend them as a shepherd tends his flock.” The wicked shepherds took no care of them because they did not redeem their sheep with their blood... “My sheep hear my voice. I will seek out my sheep from the midst of the scattered sheep and will bring them out from all the places they were scattered on the day of clouds and darkness. No matter how hard it is to find them, I will find them... I will rescue my sheep from foreign lands, I will gather them and lead them back to their own homes; I will lead them to pasture on the mountains of Israel.” 

These “mountains of Israel” are the writers of holy Scripture. They are the pastures where you are to feed if you wish to do so safely. Savor everything you learn from them and reject everything outside. Don't go astray in the mists, listen to the shepherd's voice. Gather on the mountains of holy Scripture. There you will find true delight for your heart. There is nothing poisonous there, nothing dangerous; they are rich pastures... “I will lead them beside rivers, in the best places.” From those mountains we were just talking about, rivers of Gospel preaching pour down since “the voice [of the apostles] resounds to the ends of the earth” and all the ends of the earth provide pleasant and fertile pastures for the sheep. 

“I will cause them to feed in good pasture..., and their sheepfold will be there”, that is to say, there they will rest, there they will be able to say: “It is good to be here; true enough, it is perfectly clear, we have found the truth.” They will take their rest in the glory of God as in a sheepfold. 

(Biblical references : Ez 34,10-14; Ps 79[80],2-3; Jn 10,27; Ps 18[19],5)

Missale Cisterciciense reformatum

No comments: