Friday 15 November 2013

The Hound of Heaven, Gelineau Ps 138. The Soul's Desire (Anon. 11c.)

Gelineau Psalm 138 (139)
The Hound of Heaven

1 O Lord, you search me and you know me,
2 you know my resting and my rising,
you discern my purpose from afar .
3 You mark when I walk or lie down,
all my ways lie open to you.

4 Before ever a word is on my tongue
you know it, O Lord, through and through.
3 Behind and before you besiege me,
your hand ever laid upon me.
6 Too wonderful for me, this knowledge,
too high, beyond my reach.

7 O where can I go from your spirit,
or where can I flee from your face?
8 If I climb the heavens, you are there.
If I lie in the grave, you are there.

9 If I take the wings of the dawn
and dwell at the sea's furthest end,
10 even there your hand would lead me,
your right hand would hold me fast.

11 If I say: "Let the darkness hide me
and the light around me be night,"
12 even darkness is not dark for you
and the night is as clear as the day.

13 For it was you who created my being,
knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I thank you for the wonder of my being,
for the wonders of all your creation.

Already you knew my soul,
15 my body held no secret from you
when I was being fashioned in secret
and moulded in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw all my actions,
they were all of them written in your book;
every one of my days was decreed
before one of them came into being.

17 To me, how mysterious your thoughts,
the sum of them not to be numbered!
I8 If I count them, they are more than the sand; 
to finish, I must be eternal, like you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ballykanill Harbour, Connermara  

About 179,000,000 results (0.71 seconds) 
Search Results
www.rc.net/wcc/ireland/early12.htm
 It were my soul's desire. To see the face of GodIt were my soul's desire
To rest in His abode. It were my soul's desire. To study zealously; This, too, my soul's  ...
The Soul's Desire 
Anonymous verse from the 11th century (translated by Eleanor Hull)    
It were my soul's desire
To see the face of God;
It were my soul's desire
To rest in His abode.

It were my soul's desire
To study zealously;
This, too, my soul's desire,
A clear rule set for me.

It were my soul's desire
A spirit free from gloom;
It were my soul's desire
New life beyond the Doom.

It were my soul's desire
To shun the chills of Hell;
Yet more my soul's desire
Within His house to dwell.

It were my soul's desire
To imitate my King,
It were my soul's desire
His ceaseless praise to sing.

It were my soul's desire
When heaven's gate is won
To find my soul's desire
Clear shining like the sun.

Grant, Lord, my soul's desire,
Deep waves of cleansing sighs;
Grant, Lord, my soul's desire
From earthly cares to rise.

This still my soul's desire
Whatever life afford --
To gain my soul's desire
And see Thy face, O Lord.

1 comment:

SAM said...

that's true! Francis Thompson must have been inspired by Psalm 139--thanks for making that connection!