Friday 15 November 2013

Psalm 139 (138) DGB, Latin, Greek 'The Hound of Heaven'

 Exercise: compare Douai, Vulgate and Septuagint,
and Ps. 139 and Ps. 104. 

The Hound from Heaven

There can be little doubt that Francis Thompson (1859-1907) was inspired by the words of Psalm 139 when composing The Hound of Heaven. This will be evident from the opening lines:

I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and the mist of tears
I hid from Him, and under running laughter.


Omniscience & Omnipresence  
 

The theme of Ps. 139 is God’s omniscience and omnipresence.  The psalmist recognizes God as present everywhere, One who is not only all-powerful, but also all-knowing, One who has formed man from the womb, and One whose presence man cannot escape.5

Ps.139 Compared to Psalm 104

This Psalm has often been admired for the grandeur of its sentiments, the elevation of its style, as well as the variety and beauty of its imagery. Bishop Lowth, in his 29th Prelection, classes it amongst the Hebrew idyls, as next to the 104th, in respect both to the conduct of the poem, and the beauty of the style. "If it be excelled," says he, "(as perhaps it is) by the former in the plan, disposition, and arrangement of the matter, it is not in the least inferior in the dignity and elegance of its sentiments, images, and figures." "Amongst its other excellencies," says Bishop Mant, "it is for nothing more admirable than for the exquisite skill with which it descants on the perfections of the Deity.


Douay-Rheims Bible
You Have Searched Me and Know Me
1Lord, thou hast proved me, and known me:
2thou hast know my sitting down, and my rising up.
3Thou hast understood my thoughts afar off: my path and my line thou hast searched out.
4And thou hast foreseen all my ways: for there is no speech in my tongue.
5Behold, O Lord, thou hast known all things, the last and those of old: thou hast formed me, and hast laid thy hand upon me.
6Thy knowledge is become wonderful to me: it is high, and I cannot reach to it.
7Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy face?
8If I ascend into heaven, thou art there: if I descend into hell, thou art present.
9If I take my wings early in the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea:
10Even there also shall thy hand lead me: and thy right hand shall hold me.
11And I said: Perhaps darkness shall cover me: and night shall be my light in my pleasures.
12But darkness shall not be dark to thee, and night shall be light as day: the darkness thereof, and the light thereof are alike to thee.
13For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast protected me from my mother's womb.
14I will praise thee, for thou art fearfully magnified: wonderful are thy works, and my soul knoweth right well.
15My bone is not hidden from thee, which thou hast made in secret: and my substance in the lower parts of the earth.
16Thy eyes did see my imperfect being, and in thy book all shall be written: days shall be formed, and no one in them.
17But to me thy friends, O God, are made exceedingly honourable: their principality is exceedingly strengthened.
18I will number them, and they shall be multiplied above the sand: I rose up and am still with thee.
19If thou wilt kill the wicked, O God: ye men of blood, depart from me:
20Because you say in thought: They shall receive thy cities in vain.
21Have I not hated them, O Lord, that hated thee: and pine away because of thy enemies?
22I have hated them with a perfect hatred: and they are become enemies to me.
23Prove me, O God, and know my heart: examine me, and know my paths.
24And see if there be in me the way of iniquity: and lead me in the eternal way.
Douay-Rheims Bible
http://biblehub.com/clearrectangle.gif
<< Psalmi 139 >>
Psalm 139 Latin: Biblia Sacra Vulgata


1 (138-1) pro victoria David canticum Domine investigasti me et cognovisti
2 (138-2) tu cognovisti sessionem meam et surrectionem meam
3 (138-3) intellexisti malum meum de longe semitam meam et accubitionem meam eventilasti
4 (138-4) et omnes vias meas intellexisti quia non est eloquium in lingua mea
5 (138-5) ecce Domine nosti omnia retrorsum et ante formasti me et posuisti super me manum tuam
6 (138-6) super me est scientia et excelsior est non potero ad eam
7 (138-7) quo ibo ab spiritu tuo et quo a facie tua fugiam
8 (138-8) si ascendero in caelum ibi es tu si iacuero in inferno ades
9 (138-9) si sumpsero pinnas diluculo habitavero in novissimo maris
10 (138-10) etiam ibi manus tua deducet me et tenebit me dextera tua
11 (138-11) si dixero forte tenebrae operient me nox quoque lux erit circa me
12 (138-12) nec tenebrae habent tenebras apud te et nox quasi dies lucet similes sunt tenebrae et lux
13 (138-13) quoniam tu possedisti renes meos orsusque es me in utero matris meae
14 (138-14) confitebor tibi quoniam terribiliter magnificasti me mirabilia opera tua et anima mea novit nimis
15 (138-15) non sunt operta ossa mea a te quibus factus sum in abscondito imaginatus sum in novissimis terrae
16 (138-16) informem adhuc me viderunt oculi tui et in libro tuo omnes scribentur dies formatae sunt et non est una in eis
17 (138-17) mihi autem quam honorabiles facti sunt amici tui Deus quam fortes pauperes eorum
18 (138-18) dinumerabo eos et harena plures erunt evigilavi et adhuc sum tecum
19 (138-19) si occideris Deus impium viri sanguinum declinate a me
20 (138-20) qui contradicent tibi scelerate elati sunt frustra adversarii tui
21 (138-21) nonne odientes te Domine odivi et contra adversarios tuos distabui
22 (138-22) perfecto odio oderam illos inimici facti sunt mihi
23 (138-23) scrutare me Deus et cognosce cor meum proba me et scito cogitationes meas
24 (138-24) et vide si via idoli in me est et deduc me in via aeterna


Latin: Biblia Sacra Vulgata

<< Psalms 139 >>
Psalm 139 Greek OT: Septuagint with Diacritics


1ες τ τέλος ψαλμς τ δαυιδ κύριε δοκίμασάς με κα γνως με
2σ γνως τν καθέδραν μου κα τν γερσίν μου σ συνκας τος διαλογισμούς μου π μακρόθεν
3τν τρίβον μου κα τν σχονόν μου σ ξιχνίασας κα πάσας τς δούς μου προεδες
4τι οκ στιν λόγος ν γλώσσ μου
5δού κύριε σ γνως πάντα τ σχατα κα τ ρχαα σ πλασάς με κα θηκας π' μ τν χερά σου
6θαυμαστώθη γνσίς σου ξ μο κραταιώθη ο μ δύνωμαι πρς ατήν
7πο πορευθ π το πνεύματός σου κα π το προσώπου σου πο φύγω
8ἐὰν ναβ ες τν ορανόν σ ε κε ἐὰν καταβ ες τν δην πάρει
9ἐὰν ναλάβοιμι τς πτέρυγάς μου κατ' ρθρον κα κατασκηνώσω ες τ σχατα τς θαλάσσης
10κα γρ κε χείρ σου δηγήσει με κα καθέξει με δεξιά σου
11κα επα ρα σκότος καταπατήσει με κα νξ φωτισμς ν τ τρυφ μου
12τι σκότος ο σκοτισθήσεται π σο κα νξ ς μέρα φωτισθήσεται ς τ σκότος ατς οτως κα τ φς ατς
13τι σ κτήσω τος νεφρούς μου κύριε ντελάβου μου κ γαστρς μητρός μου
14ξομολογήσομαί σοι τι φοβερς θαυμαστώθην θαυμάσια τ ργα σου κα ψυχή μου γινώσκει σφόδρα
15οκ κρύβη τ στον μου π σο ποίησας ν κρυφ κα πόστασίς μου ν τος κατωτάτοις τς γς
16τ κατέργαστόν μου εδοσαν ο φθαλμοί σου κα π τ βιβλίον σου πάντες γραφήσονται μέρας πλασθήσονται κα οθες ν ατος
17μο δ λίαν τιμήθησαν ο φίλοι σου θεός λίαν κραταιώθησαν α ρχα ατν
18ξαριθμήσομαι ατούς κα πρ μμον πληθυνθήσονται ξηγέρθην κα τι εμ μετ σο
19ἐὰν ποκτείνς μαρτωλούς θεός νδρες αμάτων κκλίνατε π' μο
20τι ρες ες διαλογισμόν λήμψονται ες ματαιότητα τς πόλεις σου
21οχ τος μισοντάς σε κύριε μίσησα κα π τος χθρος σου ξετηκόμην
22τέλειον μσος μίσουν ατούς ες χθρος γένοντό μοι
23δοκίμασόν με θεός κα γνθι τν καρδίαν μου τασόν με κα γνθι τς τρίβους μου
24κα δ ε δς νομίας ν μοί κα δήγησόν με ν δ αωνί





No comments: