Thursday 17 October 2013

Ignatius of Antioch, Martyr, and the Atlas 'martyrs'.

Comment:  

Ignatius of Antioch, martyr, today's memorial reminds of the Atlas Martyrs of Algeria.
Ignatius had the amazing journey from Antioch to Rome wrote seven letters to the different Churches. The seven monks of Our Lady of Atlas lived their martyrdom in the mountains of Algeria. The Prior, Fr. Christian, also wrote his Testament, expressing the faith of the monks.

Later Abbot of Bellefontaine said of, "Appended to Fr. Christian's Testament, written in the shifting of the Old Testament being fulfilled by the sacrifice of the New Testament, are two dates—December 1, 1993, and January 1, 1994. It seems to me that these dates correspond to two stages of the text. The first is when Fr. Christian notes, as if in passing, his reaction to the GIA's ultimatum, which warned foreigners that from then on they would be victims of violence. "If it should happen one day," wrote Fr. Christian, "and it could be today—that I become a victim. . . ." Then, for us, his community (his Cistercian family), his Church (all of us), and his relatives (represented here), he formulated four wishes that he would like us to take into account: to remember, to accept, to pray for him, and to expand our prayer." ....

Sant 'Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop and Martyr
m. About 107
It was the third bishop of Antioch, in Syria, the third metropolis of the ancient world after Rome and Alexandria in Egypt, and when St. Peter was the first bishop. It was not a Roman citizen, and it seems that he was not born a Christian converting to age is not young anymore. While he was bishop of Antioch, the Emperor Trajan began the persecution of her. Arrested and sentenced, Ignatius was led in chains from Antioch to Rome, where he put up a sheltered feasts in honor of the Emperor and Christians had to serve as a spectacle, circus, torn to pieces by wild beasts. During the journey from Antioch to Rome, Ignatius wrote seven letters in which it recommended to flee from sin, to guard against the errors of the Gnostics, to maintain the unity of the Church. Something else then it was recommended, especially to Christians in Rome: not to intervene in his favor and not to save him from martyrdom. In the year 107, then, was torn to pieces by wild beasts to which he showed great tenderness. "Accarezzatele" he wrote, "that they may be my grave, and not Facciani remain nothing of my body, and my funeral is not against anyone." (Future)
Etymology: = Ignatius of fire, fiery, from the Latin
Emblem: Stick pastoral Palma
Martyrology: Memory of St. Ignatius, bishop and martyr, who, disciple of St. John the Apostle, St. Peter's interest to second after the Church of Antioch.Sentenced fairs under the Emperor Trajan, was brought to Rome and crowned with a glorious martyrdom during the trip, while experimenting the ferocity of the guards, similar to that of leopards, wrote seven letters to different churches, in which he exhorted the brethren to serve God in communion with the bishops and not to prevent that he was sacrificed as a victim for Christ. 
Listen to Vatican Radio: 
   
Listen to RadioRai: 
   
Listen to radiomaria: 
   
iBreviary
Office of Readings
SECOND READING
From a letter to the Romans by Saint Ignatius of Antioch, bishop and martyr
(Cap. 4:1-2; 6:1-8, 3: Funk 1, 217-223)
I am God’s wheat and shall be ground by the teeth of wild animals

I am writing to all the churches to let it be known that I will gladly die for God if only you do not stand in my way. I plead with you: show me no untimely kindness. Let me be food for the wild beasts, for they are my way to God. I am God’s wheat and shall be ground by their teeth so that I may become Christ’s pure bread. Pray to Christ for me that the animals will be the means of making me a sacrificial victim for God.

No earthly pleasures, no kingdoms of this world can benefit me in any way. I prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits of the earth. He who died in place of us is the one object of my quest. He who rose for our sakes is my one desire.

The time for my birth is close at hand. Forgive me, my brothers. Do not stand in the way of my birth to real life; do not wish me stillborn. My desire is to belong to God. Do not, then, hand me back to the world. Do not try to tempt me with material things. Let me attain pure light. Only on my arrival there can I be fully a human being. Give me the privilege of imitating the passion of my God. If you have him in your heart, you will understand what I wish. You will sympathize with me because you will know what urges me on.

The prince of this world is determined to lay hold of me and to undermine my will which is intent on God. Let none of you here help him; instead show yourselves on my side, which is also God’s side. Do not talk about Jesus Christ as long as you love this world. Do not harbor envious thoughts. And supposing I should see you, if then I should beg you to intervene on my behalf, do not believe what I say. Believe instead what I am now writing to you. For though I am alive as I write to you, still my real desire is to die. My love of this life has been crucified, and there is no yearning in me for any earthly thing. Rather within me is the living water which says deep inside me: “Come to the Father.” I no longer take pleasure in perishable food or in the delights of this world. I want only God’s bread, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, formed of the seed of David, and for drink I crave his blood, which is love that cannot perish.

I am no longer willing to live a merely human life, and you can bring about my wish if you will. Please, then, do me this favor, so that you in turn may meet with equal kindness. Put briefly, this is my request: believe what I am saying to you. Jesus Christ himself will make it clear to you that I am saying the truth. Only truth can come from that mouth by which the Father has truly spoken. Pray for me that I may obtain my desire. I have not written to you as a mere man would, but as one who knows the mind of God. If I am condemned to suffer, I will take it that you wish me well. If my case is postponed, I can only think that you wish me harm.

RESPONSORY
Nothing will be hidden from you
if you have perfect faith and love for Jesus Christ,
since these are the beginning and end of life.
 Faith, indeed, is the beginning and love is the end.

Clothe yourself with gentleness,
and be renewed in faith,
which is the flesh of the Lord,
and in love, which is the blood of Jesus Christ.
 Faith, indeed, is the beginning and love is the end.

CONCLUDING PRAYER
Let us pray.
All-powerful and ever-living God,
you ennoble your Church
with the heroic witness of all
who give their lives for Christ.
Grant that the victory of Saint Ignatius of Antioch
may bring us your constant help
as it brought him eternal glory.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
 Amen.   


No comments: