Friday 13 September 2013

THE EXALTATION OF THE HOLY CROSS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST Feast

Saturday, 14 September 2013

Feast of the Church : The exaltation of the Holy Cross, feast
Community Liturgy Office
Commentary of the day : 

Saint Bernard (1091-1153), Cistercian monk and doctor of the Church 
Meditation on the Passion (attrib.), 6, 13-15 ; PL 184, 747 

The glory of the Cross

Far be it for me to glory except in the cross of my Lord Jesus Christ (Gal 6,14). The cross is your glory, the cross is your dominion. Behold, upon your shoulders dominion rests (Is 9,5). Those who bear your cross, bear your glory. That is why the cross, which makes unbelievers quail, is more beautiful than all the trees of paradise to believers. Was Christ afraid of the cross? Or Peter? Or Andrew? To the contrary, they longed for it. Christ went to meet it “like a champion joyfully running his course” (Ps 19[18],6): “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I die” (Lk 22,15). He ate the Passover even as he suffered his Passion when he passed from this world to his Father. He ate and drank on the cross, he was drunk with wine and fell asleep...

From henceforth who can fear the cross? Lord, I may traverse heaven and earth, the sea and dry land, yet will never find you except on the cross. It is there you sleep, there you pasture your flock, there you rest at noonday (Sg 1,7). One who is united to his Lord sweetly sings upon this cross: “You, O Lord, my encircling shield, my glory, you lift up my head” (Ps 3,4). None seeks for you, none finds you except on the cross. O glorious cross, embed yourself in me that I may be found in thee.


No comments: