Tuesday 15 January 2013

Teresa Poem Tuesday 15th. Jan. 2013 Magnificat com



MEDITATION       OF THE      DAY

Saint Teresa of Avila
The Poem "Seeking God"

Soul, you must seek yourself in Me
And in yourself seek Me.

Nunraw Refectory - stone sculpture 'Break of Bread'
With such skill, soul,   
Love could portray you in Me
That a painter well gifted
Could never show
So finely that image.

For love you were fashioned
Deep within me
Painted so beautiful, so fair;
If, my beloved, I should lose you,
Soul, in yourself seek Me.

Well I know that you will discover
Yourself portrayed in my heart
So lifelike drawn
It will be a delight to behold
Yourself so well painted.

And should by chance you do not know
Where to find Me,
Do not go here and there;
But if you wish to find Me,
In yourself seek Me.

Soul, since you are My room,
My house and dwelling,
If at any time,
Through your distracted ways
I find the door tightly closed,

Outside yourself seek Me not,
To find Me it will be
Enough only to call Me,
Then quickly will I come,
And in yourself seek Me.

 _________________________________________________________
Saint Teresa of Avila (+ 1582), Doctor of the Church, reformed the Carmelite Order.
From The Collected Works of St. Teresa. VoL 3, Kieran Kavanaugh, O.C.D and Otilio Rodriguez, O.C.D., Trs. 1985, ICS Publications, Institute of Carmelite Studies, Washington, DC. Used with permission.




No comments: