Tuesday 30 October 2012

COMMENT: Von Balthaser 'soaring up'. Gabrielle 'upsoaring'


Loch Tummel, Killiecrankie

MAGNIFICANT Tues 30th October 2012. Luke 13:18
MEDITATION      OF THE     DAY
The Mustard Seed
Whoever lives in me, whoever is taken up into me, is taken up in resurrection. I am the transformation
As bread and wine are transformed, so the world is transformed into me. The grain of mustard is tiny, and yet its inner might does not rest until it overshadows all the world's plants
Neither does my Resurrection rest until the grave of the last soul has burst, and my powers have reached even to the furthest-branch of creation. 
You see death; you feel the descent to the end. 
But death is itself a life, perhaps the most living life; it is the darkening depth of my life, and the end is itself the beginning, and the descent is itself the soaring up ... Every horror became for my love a garment in which to conceal itself, a wall through which to walk.

HANS URS VON BALTHASAR
Cardinal von Balthasar (+ 1988) was an eminent Swiss Catholic theologian and co-founder of a religious community. His extensive writings were an important influence on Blessed John Paul II. From ‘Heart of the World’ 1979.





No comments: