Friday 26 October 2012

COMMENT: The 'missing verse' in Sirach 24:18/24.

Christ_Hagia_Sofia
COMMENTS:                       
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: William W. . .
To: Donald  . . .
Subject: Re:
Knox translation & Sirach verse

Dear Father Donald,

...............
The 'missing verse' in Sirach 24: 18 / 24 has indeed held my interest!
The NRSV Study edition has the comment: "Other ancient authorities add as verse 18, I am the mother of beautiful love, of fear, of knowledge, and of holy hope; being eternal, I am given to all my children, to those who are named by him"; and
   
The NJB Study edition adds: "Gk 248 and Lat. add 18 I am the mother of pure love, of fear, of knowledge and of worthy hope, and Gk 248 I am bestowed on all my children, from all eternity on those appointed by him. In place of the last phrase the Latin reads, In me is all grace of way and of truth, in me all hope of life and of strength, a Christian gloss alluding to John 14:6 and based on the identification of Wisdom with Christ"; and
The NAB Study edition describes 24:1-27 "In this chapter Wisdom speaks in the first person, describing her origin, her dwelling place in Israel, and the reward she gives her followers. As in Proverbs 8, Wisdom is described as a being who comes from God and is distinct from him. While we do not say with certainty that this description applies to a personal being, it does foreshadow the beautiful doctrine of the Word of God later developed in St. John's Gospel (Jn 1:1-14). In the liturgy this chapter is applied to the Blessed Virgin because of her constant and intimate association with Christ, the Incarnate Wisdom".
Such a beautiful theme must indeed be woven into our every thought of the nature of Sophia.
What a beautiful truth upon which to retire for the night!
With my love in Our Lord,
William

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Donald . .
To: William W. . .
Subject: Re:
Knox translation - 

Dear William,
. . . . .   

Problem with the Sirac Quote.
The DRM (Douai Rheims) is glorious as in the Vulgate.
Sir 24:24  I am the mother of fair love, and of fear, and of knowledge, and of holy hope. (DRB)
I think I had the actual verses appear elsewhere in Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Wisdom  or Apocrypha?
Especially nice to find it in Knox Bible if possible.
Here I am on a wild goose chase.
Also on chase of your snow as leaves in Carlisle.
God bless.
Donald


No comments: