Tuesday 26 June 2012

COMMENT Breviariun Cisterciense


Litugical visuals - Scriptural texts illustrate the Cistercian Breviary, the Missals, Antiphonaries, etc.. 
The detail of the engravings is amazing. 
Scenes within scenes unfold the Biblical events.  
Contemplation nourishes the spirit.
Who was the Artist, or the school of artisans?
The survivors from the Westmalle Abbey printery may be able to tell us the story of the dedicated industry.


In Nativitate S. Joannis Baptistae
Breviariun Cisterciense


1.    1Ki 21:18  Arise, and go down to meet Achab, king of Israel (DRB)
1Ki 21:18  surge et descende in occursum Ahab regis Israhel (Vulgate)

2.     Jer 1:5  Before I formed thee in the bowels of thy mother, I knew thee: and before thou camest forth out of the womb, I sanctified thee, (DRB)
Jer 1:5  antequam exires de vulva sanctificavi te (Vulgate)

3.    Isa 49:1  The Lord hath called me from the womb, from the bowels of my mother. (DRB)
Isa 49:1  …  Dominus ab utero vocavit me de ventre matris meae ...(Vulgate)

4.    Luk 1:63  Then Zachariah asked for a writing tablet and wrote, His name is John. (DRB)
Luk 1:63  et postulans pugillarem scripsit dicens Iohannes est nomen eius .. ...(Vulgate).

5.     Isa 40:3  The voice of one crying in the desert: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the wilderness the paths of our God. (DRB)
Isa 40:3  vox clamantis in deserto parate viam Domini (Vulgate).

6.    Mal 3:1  Behold I send my angel, and he shall prepare the way (DRB)  
Mal 3:1  ecce ego mittam angelum meum et praeparabit viam   (Vulgate).

7.    Isa 6:6  And one of the seraphims flew to me, and in his hand was a live coal, which he had taken with the tongs off the altar. (DRB)
Isa 6:6  et volavit ad me unus de seraphin et in manu eius calculus quem forcipe tulerat de altari (Vulgate).