Sunday 6 November 2011

St. Gertrude "Behold, the Groom", Mt. 25:1-13. Parable of the Ten Virgins

The Commentary, from Daily Gospel today, leads to deeper and deeper reflection on the 'Exercises' of St. Gertrude of Helfta. 
With acknowledgement.
It asks for further Comment.
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: DGO
Sent:
 Saturday, 5 November 2011, 17:03
Subject: The Daily Gospel

Sunday, 06 November 2011

Thirty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time



Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 25:1-13.
Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Five of them were foolish and five were wise.

Afterwards the other virgins came and said, 'Lord, Lord, open the door for us!'
But he said in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.'
Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Commentary of the day : 

Saint Gertrude of Helfta (1256-1301), Benedictine/Cistercian nun 
Exercises, no 5 ; SC 127 (©Cistercian publications, 1989) 

"Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!"

O my very gentle evening, when the evening of this life has arrived for me, make me dulcetly lose consciousness in you and experience that most blessed rest which has been prepared in you for your dear ones. Let the exceedingly calm and agreeable regard of your beautiful cherishing-love deign to order and arrange my magnificent nuptials. With the riches of your goodness cover... the poverty and impoverishment of my degenerate life. Let my soul dwell in the delights of your charity with exceeding trust.

O love, may you then be for me such an evening that my soul may with gladness and exultation bid a sweet farewell to my body; and may my spirit, returning to the Lord who gave it, already pleasantly at rest in peace beneath your shadow. Then, with your own voice... you will say to me manifestly: «Behold, the bridegroom is coming;   now go out to join yourself more closely to him that he may gladden you by the glory of his countenance»...

When, oh when will you show yourself to me so that I may see and with merriment draw from you, God, the living fountain (Is 12,3)? Then I will drink and will become inebriated with the sweet plentifulness of the living fountain, which distills the delights of the melllifluous face of him whom my soul desires (Ps 42[41],3). O sweet face, when will you satisfy me with yourself? Then I will go into the place of the wonderful tabernacle even to the very aspect of God (Ps 42[41],5); at its threshold my heart is made to groan because I am delayed by my sojourn here. Oh, when will you fill me with g1adness by your mellifluous face (Ps 16[15],11)? Then I will contemplate and warmly kiss the true spouse of my soul, my Jesus.... there where I may recognize you just as I am recognized (1Cor 13,12) and love you just as I am loved so that forever I may see you, my God, as you really are (1Jn 3,2) in your blessed vision, fruition, and possession.

No comments: