Thursday 19 August 2010

Guerric of Igny, Cistercian

Mass Thursday of the Twentieth Week !n Ordinary Time
Blessed Guerric of Igny 19th Aug.
The Readings, Ez. 36:23-28, Mt. 22:1-14.
Intro: Abbot Mark.
Today we celebrate the feast of Bl. Guerric, Abbot of the 12th French Abbey of Igny. Not much is known of him now, outside Cistercian circles yet, with Saints Bernard, Aelred and William of St. Thierry, he has been called one of the four Evangelists of Citeaux.
We know little directly of his personal life except that he suffered particular from ill health. In spite of this – because of his holiness – Guerric was elected second Abbot of Igny, a daughter house of St. Bernard’s own Abbey of Clairvaux.
The Chapter Sermons of Guerric that have come down to us are based on the feasts and seasons of the year and are imbued in a feel of scripture. They represent what was best in the 12th century. They remain fresh even today and make for fruitful reading.
Let us pause for a moment to prepare porselves to enter into the Eucharist in honour of Bl. Guerric of Igny.  

Ezk 36:26 .. a jotting

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: William  ... >
To:  Donald  ... >
Sent: Wed, 18 August, 2010 20:36:19
Subject: Ezk 36:26 .. a jotting


 
Dear Father Donald,
 
Please may I share this with you...
 
I have this verse so often to mind and have spent the evening delighting in it, looking it out in various translations - R Knox translates it beautifully: "I will give you a new heart, and breathe a new spirit into you; I will take away from your breasts those hearts that are hard as stone, and give you human hearts instead". However, the version with which I came to consciousness as a convert, the NJB, carries the phrase that always haunts me: "I shall remove the heart of stone from your bodies.." This phrase comes to my mind so often in prayer, and most often in the form of words from the first of my jottings printed by you...  
 

Let me remain in the silence of Your tomb

Awaiting the dawning of the day

When You will roll away my heart of stone  
And reveal the glory of Your presence. 

Thank you for all the joy you gave me in my jottings!
 ...  in Our Lord,
William

No comments: