Friday 13 August 2010

Andre Louf COMMENT

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: William J ...>
To: Fr Donald ...>
Sent: Thu, 12 August, 2010 22:01:07
Subject: Re: [Dom Donald's Blog] Andre Louf 

Dear Father Donald,
 
I have greatly enjoyed the tributes to your friend and contemporary.
 
As I took down from my bookshelf the two books I hold written by him, straightway I recalled the effect they had upon me.
 
Who else entitles a book "Teach us to pray - learning a little about God" and begins an introduction with:
"The purpose of this short book is to do just a little to appease the hunger for prayer..."
 
And in "The Cistercian Way", he begins with the question "What is a monk?".... to which he answers...
"the question must indeed be put every day, and the answer can come only from living".
 
I shall place the fine portrait of him in the front of these two intimate accounts of the life of prayer,
his life of prayer - to which the back cover of "Teach us to pray" introduces us:
"The most obvious characteristic of this book is that it is prayed. Everything written in its pages emanates from the deep experience of a man of prayer. The book is a personal testimony which is written to help the reader achieve "a deeper solitude where he or she may penetrate to a still deeper level of his or her own interior being".
 
I couldn't retire for the night without communicating to you how great an effect his writing has had upon me.
 
...  in Our Lord,
William
 
The portrait of Dom Andre Louf, below, is the one I know best for the times we met over the years 1964 to 1997
He is one of the Cistercian monks and abbots who has most impressed and inspired me in my monastic life.

                                                           R.P. Dom André Louf


 
 
Blog on 8/12/2010 08:46:00 PM

  • + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
 Reply:
Thank you, William.
Your response to the tributes to Dom Andre Louf is moving,
and so insightful from your reading of Andre.
Yours ...
Donald

No comments: