Monday 15 March 2010

Comment Ps 84


COMMENT - from Andy

Hi Donald
I found your comments on Ps 84, and William's reply very thought provoking and interesting. I started doing some searching through the internet and found many reference to your quote of "How dear to me your dwelling" - which does sound very personal and intimate - but none of them show any reference to the source. A cantata was written by Bruce Neswick for SATB in 2007 using the wording, but no reference to source. A my final search led me to
http://www.io.com/~kellywp/YearB_RCL/Pentecost/BProp16_RCL.html which indicated that the phrase was a translation used in the "Book of Common Prayer" 1979.

Hope this is of benefit you to and William in your search for splitting 'hares'.
Regards
Andy

See:BCP - Book of Common Prayer

Psalm 84 or 84:1-6 Page 707, BCP

Quam dilecta!

1

How dear to me is your dwelling, O LORD of hosts! *
My soul has a desire and longing for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.

2

The sparrow has found her a house
and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young; *
by the side of your altars, O LORD of hosts,
my King and my God.



Thank you, Andy,
We are hot on the trail.
The Book of Common Prayer gives publication to the 1989 Edition of NRSV but again not "How dear to me is your dwelling".

No comments: